Saturday, January 26, 2008

Acknowledgment

It was a sell-out crowd at the Bluebird Cafe Thursday night. We were crammed into the "church pew" section because we had not been able to get a table. As it was a benefit for Alive Hospice, "big names" were to perform in the round. The songs would run the gamut from "Live Like You Were Dying" to "Bette Davis Eyes". I had no expectations for Rodney to sing our Jason Aldean cut. After all, he has accumulated quite the repertoire of radio hits (Lost In This Moment by Big & Rich, Amarillo Sky by Jason Aldean and Sweet Southern Comfort by Buddy Jewell, to name a few.) But about half-way through the show he introduces his next song by saying, "this next song I wrote years ago with my dear friend, Julie Adkison. She's sitting right back there with her husband, next to my wife. She was one of my first co-writers and this is one of my favorite songs I've ever written. We're still crossing our fingers that it's going to be on the radio........" At this point all the other performers were feigning shock that he would play something that was not a hit, since everything else he had played up to that point had at least made it to the top 5 on the country radio charts. He quieted the laughing and chiding with the best performance of "Do You Wish It Was Me" I have ever heard him give. The audience even started whooping and clapping after the first verse and chorus. In that moment, I felt true gratification. Afterwards, I told Rodney that even if the song is never a radio single, that moment was enough for me.

See, there were a number of my peers and colleagues in the audience that night. I shouldn't care what they think of me, but I do and it felt good to be recognized in that way. Acknowledgment is one thing. Public acknowledgment is another thing all together. And I appreciate it more than you know, Rodney. Thank you, my friend.

(I later came to my senses and am once again neurotically agonizing over the shallow promise of "the next single.")

(I'm kidding!)

(sort of)

If you want to go check out Rodney's MySpace it's www.myspace.com/rodneyclawsonmusic

3 comments:

Sunny said...

Julie,

I typically don't read a lot of blogs, having found that most are nothing but mindless chatter about nothing, but after stumbling onto yours today, I found myself engrossed in your words. You not only have a good command of the language, but even your casual writing is refreshing. Being in the music biz, the Bluebird mention got my attention, and as I read on about your life, I couldn't help but smile. I’ve been in your shoes – at the Bluebird, receiving acknowledgement from the performer. And it does feel good to be recognized in that way! I’ve just always been too humble to vocalize it. Thank you for saying it - for me, and for all of us who might never have the chance to say it.

And like you, I’m a lyricist as well. But the closest I’ve gotten to fame is having a blues song on a Grammy-nominated album. There’s not a lot of money in the blues, but it’s been so rewarding getting to know the artists and actually considering several to be dear friends.

And my co-writer, EG Kight, gave me a beautiful guitar 25 years ago, but I still can’t seem to get motivated enough to learn to play it. Words are my forte, and that’s where I’m most comfortable. Perhaps that’s why I so enjoyed reading your blog. Your words are honest and true, and funny at times, but most of all, just simply refreshing...

As for playing, you wrote - “I welcome the calluses that will soon form on my fingertips, but I will try hard this time not to have a callused heart.” And I can’t help but be touched by that. And I can’t help but think there’s actually a song in that....

Best wishes.

Sunny Stephens
www.egkight.com
http://www.myspace.com/egkight

Julie Adkison said...

Thank you, Sunny! You have made my day!

Julie (aka Nashvegas Native)

Meg said...

Congrats on the kuudos! You deserve it! I'm happy that you were able to enjoy that!

Meg