Thursday, February 28, 2008

Cabin Fever

The official diagnosis is The Flu. Official because Sydney's pediatrician now has a "flu test". He swabbed her nostril (she cried) and we waited 10 minutes for the results which came back "positive". When the doctor left the room Sydney said, "Mama, you said they weren't going to do anything else to me!" She had already been subjected to the strep throat swab and we both thought that would be the worst of it. I'm glad she didn't have strep throat, but at least she would have gotten the "pink medicine"! We missed the 48 hour window for the flu medicine, so we were left to stave off the 102 and 103 degree temperatures with Ibuprofen and Tylenol.

And then suddenly she was better - just two days in. She was back to her regular, energetic self. She was trying to put fairy wings on Maggie the dog. She was jumping rope up and down the hallway. She had challenged me to video games (and beat me hands down! Well, okay, so I have a little better grasp on odd and even numbers than she does, so I did win that one!) This was yesterday. I thought for sure she'd wake up with no fever today and I could even consider sending her to school.

102 degrees! And still raring to go. Talking a mile a minute. Ibuprofen once again brought her fever right down, and I'm scratching my head wondering how fever can be her only symptom.

So I've got two more days with my (healthy) sick child. According to most school guidelines, you can't even think about sending your child to school until they have been "fever free" for 24 hours!

So we'll keep our germs to ourselves. And Maggie and Holly Dog will have to buck up and be patient with the fairy wings, tiaras and necklaces for a couple more days!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Sorry she's been sick. I know what you mean about not seeming sick and still having a fever. Frustrating! Good post.