Friday, December 14, 2007

The Closest I'll Get To A Sermon

It just doesn't FEEL like Christmas. This is what I keep saying to people. I'm not sure exactly what I'm wanting to feel. For starters, the 70 degree weather we had at the beginning of this week was no help. There is something wrong with running the air conditioner in my car while Christmas lights twinkle on my neighbors' bushes. And then we had a wreck. I was taking Sydney to the dentist when we were rammed by two young guys in an old, beat up car, neither of whom had car insurance OR driver's licenses. "Merry Christmas," I grumbled to myself.

"Mama, it was just an accident, wasn't it?" Sydney asked.

"Bah humbug!" I thought to myself.

I AM thankful that Sydney and I were okay. Mark came to our rescue. The guys were begging me not to call the police so I figured I'd let him come down and "deal with them."

We switched cars and I rushed Syd on to the dentist because, when given the chance to reschedule, I had retorted "oh no, we're getting SOMETHING out of this trip. I didn't take my daughter out of school just to go have a wreck!" We raced from the dentist back to school to pick up Sydney's friend and hurry on to McDonald's to meet some more little girls. My head was throbbing and my body was starting to feel sore. To be honest, I was still pretty irritated by the whole thing.

And then I talked to Mark. Mark let the guys go. He didn't call the police. Turns out they were in town from Michigan doing some construction work to make money for Christmas. One of the guys had a five year old son. Whatever they had done to lose their licenses, at least they were trying to be responsible now. "I just couldn't ruin someone's life right here at Christmas by having them thrown in jail or something," Mark told me.

"That's why I love you," I told him. And to myself "I bet THEY feel like it's Christmas!"

As I've processed all of this the last couple of days, I decided to "bust" myself for whining that it doesn't "feel" like Christmas.

No matter how I feel, it does not change the fact that the Christmas story happened. As we sat at the Point Of Grace Christmas concert a few nights ago, the most touching moment came when special guest, Scott Krippayne, sang Sydney's favorite worship song "Here I Am To Worship". Her little face just lit up. She had only heard it in the car (100 times). As she opened her mouth and sang with all her heart, "light of the world, you stepped down into darkness..................all for love's sake became poor" I was struck by the "Christmas" message in the familiar words. It's about a fallen world and a Light of hope. Things were set in motion on that night when Jesus was born that would change the course of history. Those things are still in effect today.

Whether I can FEEL them, or not.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

And the way you write, speak, act and take care of us is why I love you.....and you're pretty hot too! :) I sure do love you...I feel sort of the same way you do....too much to do, too little do it in....doesn't feel like Christmas is supposed to. Well, at least we've got Corlew Christmas back on track! :) I sure do love you and wouldn't want to spend my life wiothout you and little Syd! Yall make me want to get up in the morning and hurry home when the work day is through. I love you honey!

Meg said...

hi

Meg said...

Sorry about that, "HI", but I wrote a whole long note to you the other day and forgot my sign in again and when I went to retrieve it, it erased my whole message!! But, of course, this time, it didn'nt. Anyway, I wanted to comment because this is a great blog! You really have a knack for writing. And, I am so glad you had a good trip to Disney, or at least focus on the good, and we did, too! We just went the week before Christmas and it was wonderful! (see I'm doing what you did, focus on the good) You see, 3 out of the 4 of us got the stomach bug (both ends) and I was dragged out through the whole week. My husband on Monday, my daughter Tuesday night, and me on Friday. But, even with all that, I still consider the trip great because the good parts were just so good! So, I'm glad you had fun and I'm glad you got to meet that serviceman and his family. You write with such grace. How you spoke of your husband was very sweet. And from his comments, he sure is worth talking nice about. So, glad to read your blog and thanks for signing my guestbook at Family.com. I signed yours, too. Glad to "know" you. Keep up the great work!