Sunday, December 9, 2007

Goodbye, Jerry

Pat and Jerry happen to own the seats next to ours at the Titans games. They are about the age of my parents and we don't have that much in common with them. Although Pat and I often shared polite conversation, Jerry was very quiet and kept to himself at first. We were well into our second season together before he finally started "high-fiving" with Mark and some of the other guys. Sometime last season Pat confided in me that Jerry had been diagnosed with cancer. He never looked or acted sick. Not even at the one or two games he came to this season. The last words I said to Jerry, back in September were, "we'll see you at the end of the season - at the last game!" He was about to have bone marrow transplant surgery and the recovery would keep him away from his beloved Titans games until late December. I am sorry to say that I found out today at the game that he died last month. We sat next to his son today and he told us that Jerry just never got healthy enough to have the surgery that could have saved his life. I feel so bad for Pat. I could tell that she and Jerry had a great friendship. They truly enjoyed going to those Titans games together.

I took it pretty hard. I know I looked visibly shocked when Jerry's son (I think his name is Lee) gave us the news. How do you grieve the loss of an acquaintance? I couldn't believe he was gone. I immediately put myself in Pat's shoes and felt the sadness wash over me. And here it is the holiday season.

I emailed Pat when we got home from the game. I told her I was so glad to have known Jerry. And I meant it. Because the truth is that somewhere over the course of two and a half football seasons, after sharing victory and defeat, touch downs and interceptions, we became more than acquaintances. He was our fellow Titans fanatic. And that made him our friend.

Goodbye, Jerry. You will be missed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great blog sweetie! I sure do love the way you put to words what you're thinking. I too am sad for the loss, they were/are so nice. They will be missed for sure.

I love you!

Mark