Monday, January 12, 2015

Dinner Party Number One (1/11)

Let The Year Of Dinner Parties Begin!

My only resolution this year was to invite people over for dinner. Uncharacteristically, I have already made good on that promise. Last night we had the Breens and the Borders over. It was a raving success, if I do say so myself. We laughed, told stories and thoroughly enjoyed catching up. See, we used to get together A LOT. We even vacationed together at the beach for many years. But life did what it is known to do and took us down different paths. With the Borders moving to Texas, job changes, and kids in different schools, too much time went by.

The beauty of old friends is that you can pick up where you left off. And we did. There's not a quiet one of us in the bunch so we easily resumed our belly laughs and talking over one another. Here's what we ate while doing so:

Hot Bacon & Cheese Dip w/Wheat Thins (appetizer)
French Dip w/Prime Rib
Home-made Au Jus and Horseradish Sauce for Dipping
Potato Cheese Casserole
Crunchy Romaine Salad w/Ramen Topping (thank you, Shelley!)
Four Layer Dessert (Pecan Crust, Cream Cheese, Chocolate Pudding, Whipped Cream)

 Here's what I would've changed: plan the menu (or the date of the party) depending on who is on what diet! I have known Gayla my whole life and Shelley for over 15 years. You'd think I would have seen it coming. Even though Gayla is only in town for a few weeks, she had to weigh in with her trainer this morning! What in the world? And Shelley agreed to a dinner party the night before a photo shoot?? She is in the singing group Point Of Grace, and I am thrilled they have a new record coming out and all, but she wasn't eating much either! I'm really just giving them a hard time, but that may be something I want to consider as I start doing this more regularly. I do admit last night's menu was decadent.

I am happy to share any recipes with you. I wanted to include a picture of my centerpiece for future reference. Gayla gave me the cool vases for my birthday years ago. She has a great eye for interesting home pieces.

No comments: