Thursday, September 27, 2012

To Hope

I am loving the creative class I am taking on Thursday mornings! We have studied art, poetry, letter writing and art and poetry ABOUT letter writing. Such rich material. I am reminded of something my friend, Joel Lindsey, who is a very successful writer, used to say..."If you are having trouble coming up with something to write about, then it is time to feed the lake!" A silly fishing analogy, but it speaks volumes to the struggling writer! Watch a great movie. Read poetry. Go to an art museum. Look at old photographs. Re-read your favorite novel. Inspiration is waiting to be found.

Today we were encouraged to think about writing a letter to an inanimate object. This form of writing is called "Apostrophe." To my forks and spoons, to my exes, to the Yeti (we studied that poem today!), to my 20 lbs, etc., you get the idea.

We also talked a lot about hope, so that is who my inanimate object letter is to:

To Hope

I have lost you as often as I have found you
Deferred, you have made my heart sick
Re-discovered, you have made it soar

You are a glimmer, deep in the heart of the cynic
You are the last remaining sign of life
in disappointment's flat-line

I often hear that you float, 
but I have also seen you sink
like a doomed ship
waiting patiently to be mined 
as hidden treasure on the ocean's floor
 
I tell the white lie to my little one, 
as long as you believe in this thing or that, 
it is real
but I applaud you for being no less real
when I am plagued by doubt


No comments: