Thursday, January 28, 2010

Following

Now that I am re-committed to my own blog, I find myself wanting to read other blogs, especially those of my friends. On the other hand, when I am NOT blogging, the guilt - and probably envy - keeps me from reading anybody else's. If I had realized how inspired I would be by the blogs of my friends, then I would've started "following" their blogs ages ago!

"A Life In The Arts" is Phil Madeira's blog. It reads like a novel, reminiscent of Pat Conroy. Phil is a studio musician, producer, singer/songwriter and a visual artist, as well. His writer's "voice" is beautiful in the same way that his singing voice is beautiful: deep, gruff and hauntingly familiar.

"lovinglorilee" is Lori Loving's hilarious new blog. It is full of wacky, embarrassing, true stories that will have you snickering in front of your computer one minute, and the next minute you will be reeling from the impact of a spiritual truth. She weaves the sacred and the humorous together beautifully and will leave you wondering what will happen next!

"The Flip Project" is the brave undertaking of Nicolle Clawson. On January 1, she gave herself the mission to shoot a short video EVERY DAY during 2010 and write a blog to accompany it. Twenty eight days in, her blog is already a huge success. Her videos and blogs have included a car on fire, suspected polygamy next door and the ups and downs of building a career as a singer/songwriter. Intriguing, huh?

"Reflections On Being Present" is Jenna Schrader's blog. The title of the blog speaks volumes. Jenna chronicles her quest to learn about God, life and herself through her nature walks. (and trail running!) Peace emanates from her pages and they read almost like a devotional. She posts beautiful photographs, mostly of her beloved "heart rocks," which she collects. This blog makes me want to commune with nature more often!

"Vacation Boy" belongs to Joel Lindsey. He started keeping the blog several years ago when he wanted to record his 30 day writer's retreat in Cape Cod. He used the blog for accountability. He still uses it for accountability (just the other day he posted that we'd be running the Half Marathon together!), but its highest appeal has to do with his honesty about the music business. And his encouragement. You will read his blog and start believing that you can reach your dreams, too!

I highly recommend all five of these blogs. I can honestly say that I feel my own creativity creeping cautiously back. Thank you to ALL my friends (and family members) who inspire me. (You know who you are.) But thank you especially to Phil, Lori, Nicolle, Jenna and Joel who have fed my soul with their beautiful, unique words these past couple of weeks.

I'm glad to be following you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome blog! You make me want to read all of them! I love you and am so proud of all that you do and are! :)

Nicolle with two L's. said...

Thank you for the shout-out missy! Crossing my fingers that the snow permits our social time tonight :)

Phil Madeira said...

Thanks Julie! I appreciate it so very much. And now I've got to check out The Flip Project- sounds too cool to miss.

Later, my friend!
pm